Monday, July 20, 2015

It's OK To Be Stuck


So the first day of my Makers Academy Ronin course, which will see me undertake an intensive 12 week coding course, involved........ absolutely no coding!

And you know what?

That was fine with me!

The pre-course had been quite intense, I think more so than was advertised, and so today was kinda perfect. To step back, think about what we had learned on our own(-ish), and find out how that will be applied in the coming weeks.

We also got a good chance to meet (virtually) all the other Ronin cohorts, and the off-line students in London. Several introduction/team-work/bonding games we're played - one involving spaghetti and marshmallows (which resulted in my laptop covered in marshmallow goo - nice!) - and we were told something really important.

For the vast majority of this course we will be stuck!

And that's OK. Because a developer spends his day solving problems, some of which have likely never been tackled by anyone else before. It's the job.

Our coding course is really just 12 weeks of problem solving, but solving those problems through writing code. And I can't wait to get started...

No comments:

Post a Comment